Welcome to Jones Point
At the turn of 20th century the river delta was farther North than it is now. There was a deep water port here at Jones point, where goods were offloaded from ships for transport to mining settlements up river. In addition, there was a fish buyer at the port, where natives would bring their catch to sell. There were also several houses and a bakery that operated until 1939.
In 1939 Jones Point was purchased by the Schnabel family. They operated one of the valley’s first large scale lumber mills. The mill produced firewood, railroad ties, and rough milled timber ‘Cants’ that were shipped overseas. The mill operated until it burned in 1961. In 1965 the point was bought by Alaska Forest Products. The company operated a mill here until it closed in 1976.
The Takshanuk Watershed Council acquired this property in 2015 through partnership with the Conservation Fund. The goal is to make Jones Point a hub for community recreation, education and research.
Please Be Respectful and Enjoy Jones Point!